Thursday, June 24, 2010

Staff Favorites

I recently polled our Please Touch Museum staff and asked them about their favorite book, toy, and music from their childhood. I had the opportunity to sit down with Tory Kline, Collections Coordinator at Please Touch Museum, to talk about her experience with early literacy and memories of being young. Here is what she had to say:

What’s your favorite book from growing up? Teeny Witch and the Terrible Twins

Who would you read this book with? My Mom

Do you have a favorite part in the book?
My favorite part was that it was the first book I learned to read all by myself! I vividly remember reading and re-reading that book every night for weeks until mastering it. And as much as my mom tried to suggest other books, I always came back to Teeny Witch!

Why do you feel it is important for parents to read with their children?
Besides laying a firm foundation for literacy, I think that sitting down and reading a book with your child provides valuable one-on-one time. As much as I enjoyed the stories that were read aloud, I absolutely loved that uninterrupted time with my mom.


Make sure to keep an eye out for future staff picks! Staff members will have the opportunity to tell a little about themselves through some of their favorite childhood memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're all about learning through play.

Join Pinky, one of Please Touch Museum's resident puppets, on an inside look into all the fun, educational things happening at Philly's Children's Museum. This blog is not just about what we do at the museum, but about the educational philosophy behind why we do what we do.