Thursday, September 16, 2010

How to: Make a Paper Airplane

Hey everyone! I got really excited after my last visit to the Flight Fantasy exhibit. I love things that fly! But guess what? I don’t have to wait until the Rocket Room exhibit opens again to play with airplanes, rockets and parachutes. Please Touch Museum has a program called Portable Play that takes some of our exhibits on the road! Remember when I went on a visit with the City Capers kit? Well, this time, I tracked down Claudia, our Coordinator of Curriculum Development and Implementation, to show me the Flight Fantasy kit.

The kit has so many different things to play with, but I think my favorite part was the art activity we did at the end. We made our own paper airplanes! And guess what? You can too! I took some pictures, and I’ll show you how:

1. Take a sheet of plain old copy or construction paper. You can use any color you like!







2. Fold it in half like a hot dog. Make sure you make a nice crease!







3. Open up the paper again, and you’ll have a line right down the middle.







4. Make a triangle with the edge of the paper right up to the line.







5. Repeat on the other side. Now the top of your paper is one big triangle. It looks kind of like the roof of a house!












6. Flip your paper over, so you can’t see the flaps anymore. Then, fold it in half again. We’re almost done!











7. Now we’re ready to make some wings!Fold the flap of the paper in half by pulling it down to the edge.











8. Flip it over and do the same thing on the other side!












9. Now you can open those flaps. Your paper airplane is ready!










You can hold the bottom and try to make it fly.











How do you make your paper airplane? What do you think makes it fly better? What if I changed the wings? What if there was wind? Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're all about learning through play.

Join Pinky, one of Please Touch Museum's resident puppets, on an inside look into all the fun, educational things happening at Philly's Children's Museum. This blog is not just about what we do at the museum, but about the educational philosophy behind why we do what we do.