Monday, May 23, 2011

My Trip to the ACM Annual Conference


Well friends, I’m back! I had an amazing time at the 25th annual Association of Children’s Museums conference in Houston, Texas. I am so excited to tell you what I learned there.

On Saturday morning I heard Lisa Henson speak! Ms. Henson talked about all kinds of wonderful children’s television programming and how her company strives to make sure that their programs support lots of fun and educational content. It was so exciting!

After Ms. Henson’s presentation, it was time for the session: Theatrical Play is Child’s Play. Alice Gonglewski, my puppeteer, let me help with the workshop! We were joined by our friend Hyla Crane. Hyla is the Director of Education at Stepping Stones Museum for Children in Norwalk, Connecticut. Hyla and Alice worked together to demonstrate ways that our museums use theater to enhance the daily museum experience—including Playhouse shows, Reader’s Theater, creative dramatics, character interactions, and last (but not least) PUPPETS!!

Theater (especially puppets -- my favorite!) sparks children’s imaginations and encourages creative thinking and problem solving skills. We hope that moving forward, every children’s museum in the world will use theater techniques to create engaging, delightful, and magical experiences for children and families.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're all about learning through play.

Join Pinky, one of Please Touch Museum's resident puppets, on an inside look into all the fun, educational things happening at Philly's Children's Museum. This blog is not just about what we do at the museum, but about the educational philosophy behind why we do what we do.